Thursday, May 6, 2010

One Day Her Prince Will Come

A year ago, my daughter and I started a mother-daughter journal.  We write back and forth to each other asking questions, dreaming dreams or just throwing-out a random thought.  It is a safe place for her and I to "talk" and then have a chance to think about our responses.  In the very back page of the journal is a list a character qualities we are praying for over her future husband.  Some of the things I have written include: 
  • has a deep, growing relationship with Christ
  • knows his God-given purpose
  • is able to make decisions
  • makes her laugh
  • cleaves to her alone, always
Sissy's additions entail:

  • handsome
  • strong enough to work with horses
  • prays for me (oh Yeah!)
  • likes horses
  • has money to own and care for horses
Oh, I added one more...lives no more than 5 miles from us!!!
As I go through the bible and look at the men God favors I want to take special note to add these qualities to her future man.  What ever God favors, that is good enough for me!

Abel:  Abel was the second child born into the world, but the first one to obey God.  He presented a pleasing sacrifice to God.  Abel trusted God and kept his priorities in order.

Noah:  Noah made a long-term commitment to a project.  He lived in acceptance of God's grace for an entire lifetime of obedience and gratitude.
Abraham:  His faith pleased God.  He was respected by others and was courageous in defending his family at any cost.  He was not only a caring father to his own family, but also practiced hospitality to others.  He was a successful and wealthy rancher :)
Joseph:  Joseph was known for his personal integrity.  He was a man of spiritual sensitivity.
Judah:  Judah was a natural leader-he was very decisive.  He thought clearly and took action in high-pressure situations.  He was willing to stand by his word and put himself on the line when necessary.
Moses:  In Moses, we see an outstanding personality shaped by God.  Understanding that God did not change who Moses was; he did not give Moses new abilities and strengths.  Instead, he took Moses' characteristics and molded them until they were suited to his purposes.  I would love to see this in Sissy's beau.
Joshua:  Joshua was faithful in asking God's direction in the challenges he faced.
Samson.....naaaah-a bit too buff, you know what I'm sayin...
BOAZ:  Oh how I love Boaz!!  Boaz was sensitive in his dealings with other people.  He not only did what was right: he also did it RIGHT AWAY!!!  God calls him: "A man of ACTION!!!!!!!"  He was a man of his word!  He had a keen sense of responsibility and integrity, and he was a successful businessman.  NOT to mention he took good care of his mother-in-law (that's me :).
David:  A man after God's own heart.  Warrior!  David had an unchangeable belief in the faithful and forgiving nature of God.  He was a man who lived with great zest (dancing naked is great zest!).  He was genuine.
Job:  sorry, no.
Ezra:  Ezra (my nephew's name is Ezra...what a sweetie!)  He committed to study, follow, and teach God's Word.  Ezra achieved great things and made a significant impact because he had the right starting place for his actions and his life:  God's Word.
Daniel:  Chapter 5:12 says, "Inasmuch as an excellent spirit, knowledge, understanding, interpreting dreams, solving riddles, and explaining enigmas were found in this Daniel..."  Sums it up nicely, works for me!

I could go on, but this is a fabulous start.  These guys get close to painting a picture of the Ultimate Prince, but He does not walk on this turf in the flesh because just like these men we are all very flawed.  Now if she finds a guy that walks on water, we will talk more...I'm kidding!  I pray ALL these qualities these men exhibited for my future son-in-law.  I pray too that my boys would fall under these guidelines and qualities.  I want someone to compliment her gift set and encourage her to draw closer to the Lord.  I want God's very best for her.  So while she dreams and waits for that special day her prince will come, I will be praying!

Blessings,
E.W.

No comments: