Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Psalm or Psych?

I have found an author that writes commentaries that explain bible passages in such a way that expounds my understanding of scripture in a succinct way and enhances my knowledge base.  Reading through scripture I will be thinking of a question and there in the next paragraph is the answer.  Pretty cool!  I read through Matthew last year gleaning so much.  James Boice writes to an audience such a me.  I have read through the bible numerous times, I have led and taken countless studies over the years, and now I am ready for something richer.  Just give me The Word and help me read between the lines, decipher the text, and fill me in on the history, audience and original Greek and Hebrew meanings.

There are oodles of self-help books lining the shelves.  I remember taking Psychology 101 in college.  Then I took Psychology 102, even bought the book my professor wrote (had it signed) and I have to say it was a lot of drool.  I didn't feel like I had a better knowledge base of decision making or sorting out problems.  I do recall thinking that some of the philosophies held by the 'big wigs' were far-out!
So where do we get wisdom?  How do we discern a given situation?  Whose advise do we take?  Everybody has an opinion and they are more than happy to tell you what you should do!  It can get confusing when the advise varies, which would not help if you need answers!  I know where to get wisdom, it's found between the thin pages of scripture.  The moral of the story: you don't need psychology, you just need to read God's Word, particularly the Psalms and Proverbs.

My plan is to read a Psalm a day and journal what I learn and apply it to my journey.  I will share what I glean from James Boice and describe the important key points.  As well as make any action points to take away from scripture.  Come study with me, perhaps something will help you too!

First thing to tuck away; scholars speak of various types of genres of psalms, pointing out that there are perhaps seven types in all.  The seven genres are usually referred to as hymns, laments, psalms of thanksgiving, psalms of confidence, psalms of remembrance, wisdom psalms and kingship psalms.  Next to the Psalm of the day I want to write a subtitle such as 'Forgiveness' or 'Healing' so that I have a GO-TO directory when I need insight.

Coram Deo,
E.W.

No comments: