Sunday, September 26, 2010

Autumnal Swirl



When I think about my calendar and times I know are going to be busy; I think of Christmas and the end of school.  So much to do and it is all cramped into a very short period of time. At first glance, I initially think of autumn as the changing seasons, the weather cooling down, and the anticipation of settling into routine.  The reality of this fall season is that our family has some major transitioning to do.  Bye-bye lazy summer and hello school books,  soccer, and youth group all starting afresh.  I feel like I am juggling many things, and I AM!
The swirl of all the activities getting settled takes time.  Hebrews 12 says:

...let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross...

Life has its moments of walking, sprinting, and running.  September starts out at full tilt for us.  I just want to encourage all of you (especially my homeschool moms) that the trees don't all change color in one day.  It is a gradual process of day upon day change that occurs; and slowly, beauty fills the streets and valleys.


Bumpy parts of the road can easily get us flustered.  Remember the tasks set before you and recognize your busting point.  For me it is the 4:00 hour that does me in.  The kids want a snack, homework questions abound, and I am trying to think of what I am putting on the table for dinner.  Uhh!  What weight amI going to lay aside?  All these things must happen so I need to be aware of the sin that is waiting to ensnare me, and at this time of day it is impatience, and so I look to my Lord for help.  Having a snack idea ready beforehand helps immensely.  Grab an apple with some peanut butter, pop a bag of popcorn, or maybe some chips and salsa.  Just that little thing keeps me from a deep sigh because when everyone is rootin' around in my 10x10 kitchen lookin for a snack I want to send them out, out, OUT!  Not a difficult thing, just part of being prepared (the Holy Spirit nudges me on this), so this helps keep me at a jog.  I try to update my weekly calendar on the fridge to help me highlight the days events and to have shopped and planned for a dinner meal.



I pray all of you are off to a good start with your school year and please know that you are not on this journey alone.  We are designed for fellowship, so don't believe for a second that you are running this race all by your lonesome!
We are doing a kingdom work by taking care of our families, whatever stage of life you happen to be in.  May you find joy in all you do and stop to refresh yourselves along the way.  You CAN NOT keep up an exhausting run without refueling.  So the question begs to be asked, "What refuels you?"  For me it is exercise, healthy eating, quiet time, a good nights sleep, and being prepared for the next day.

As the autumnal swirl rushes around you keep first things first and the rest will come accordingly.  First for our family is being in the Word together.  There is a battle going on and equipping them is of the utmost importance for us.  One new thing we have implemented this year is morning devotions with Dad.  We all meet at the table at 7:15 and we are reading through Proverbs.  By 7:30 we have each shared our prayer requests for the day and off we go.  I am lovin' it!  That just makes my heart happy and delights me.

The joy of the Lord is my strength (Nehemiah 8:10)

Coram Deo,
E.W.

No comments: