Monday, February 15, 2010

Whelmed

I remember hearing speaker Beth Moore once say, "Why do I get so overwhelmed, why can't I just be whelmed?"  That comment still makes me laugh.  In our powder room there is a scripture verse on the mirror that has been there for a couple years.  It is rather tattered from getting Windexed over time but it continues to encourage me.  From Galatians 6:9 "Let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart."  What is making you weary right now?  What seems overwhelming to you?  For me, the first stretch of homeschooling my kids this school year was immeasurably wearifying!  Defeat, frustration, turmoil, getting pushed to the limit is how things started right out of the gate.  Really, what was the problem?  I spent months and months researching the perfect curriculums for each little darling.  I went to conferences, spent my summer prepping the 180 day school calendar, lugged 2 huge bookshelves from the basement that now abide in my dining room/ schoolroom, had my girlfriends come over and discuss and plan and plan and plan (for our high schoolers in particular).  I had done my part.  Forecasting smooth sailing from there I was shocked when things began to quickly crumble.   This was the first time all of my kids would be home schooling.  That includes an elementary, middle, and high school range.  All of them home, all of the time, learning to cooperate in a learning situation. 
I forgot about one, tiny, little detail:  THE LEARNING CURVE!!  I cried, I threatened, I prayed and cried some more.  I wanted to quit, just give up.  Put the one darling back in school after Christmas break.  UUUGGGHHH. 
Somehow we endured the first semester (can you hear the birds chirping in the background?). 
Since the New Year started I have to say things have been considerably better.  Why?  I am not doing anything different.  Why?  Well that is when I noticed the scripture on the mirror.  I wish I had noticed it months ago.  The fact of the matter is if we keep keepin on, doing the next right thing, persevering, and pushing through, there is something good to reap.  The learning curve takes time to cultivate.  My wiring tends to be impatient on this end.  Thank you Lord for showing me again that your word is true!  I don't feel weary or overwhelmed so much now.  It still is a huge responsibilty to educate children.  Now, I am just whelmed by it all!
So if you are in the midst of Beethoven's 5th whirlwind, hang in there, your time is coming!

No comments: