Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Friendship

http://www.sahajayoga.ca/sahajapath/200509/images/friendship_s.jpg

In C.S. Lewis's book The Four Loves he writes a striking message about friendship that was just a delightful thought to me.  A friend of his had just died when he wrote this...



"In each of my friends there is something that some other friend can fully bring out.  By myself I am not large enough to call the whole man into activity; I want other lights than my own to show other facets.  Now that Charles is dead, I shall never again see Ronald's (Tolkien) reaction to a specifically Charles joke.  Far from having more of Ronald, having him to "myself" now that Charles is away, I have less of Ronald...In this, Friendships exhibits a glorious "nearness by resemblance" to heaven itself where the very multitude of the blessed increases the fruition which each of us has of God.  For every soul, seeing Him in her own way, doubtless communicates that unique vision to all the rest."

How true to think how different people bring out different qualities in us.  My one girl friend sets me deep into my spiritual shoes by asking what God is teaching me today.  I can count on a rich conversation about Christ and his grace.  Another friend brings out the creative piece of me.  She is safe to dream with out-loud!  Another friend inspires the Joan of Arc in me and I can't help but stand a bit taller when I am in her company.  The list goes on and on too.  Each woman that God has placed in my life is there to be an extension of Himself.  We are His hands and feet and it comes in many layers and colors and ways.

So if you ever get a niggling of comparison, "I wish I were more like her...", tossing around in your mind, remember that you are exactly who God created you to be.  Only you can bring out certain qualities and attributes in others.   That should give us great freedom and relief that we are in fact designed with a grand purpose and we are part of a great fellowship enhancing one another.  I am so blessed with such dear friends in my life and I can love them a bit deeper knowing that I touch another in a way that fully shines that piece of uniqueness that gets tapped into when I am around.


Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

Coram Deo,
E.W.



No comments: