Tuesday, March 8, 2011

It's a Wrap

There are just some foods that seemed mysterious to me until I actually tackled them like baby food, pesto, egg rolls, and dumplings.  Don't ask me why I just figured you needed a degree in food analysis or something in order to be part of the cooking club.  Now I can add egg rolls to my repetorie.  They really are fun to make and I am not even Asian!  Check out this wrap job...


First mystery is where do you buy these skippy little wraps?  At the grocery store, just the regular store, not some ethnic-tiny-hole-in-the-wall-that's-dark-and-makes-you-feel-weird store. At our Shop Rite they are right where the lettuce and salsa's live.  You can get the small wraps for pot stickers or the larger one for egg rolls.  I have used both and I have to say I like the smaller ones better.  It's just a better 'bite' of food in my opinion.  You also cook them differently then the egg rolls.  The pot stickers you fold into a triangle then steam.  Anyway, onto the wrap session...
First lay the wrap on the diagonal so it is kite-shaped on the table.  Pour the mixture (recipe to follow) on the wrap.  Not too much or it will leak and not fold for you later in step 3.
Next fold one corner to the middle and tuck it around the meat mixture.  So far so good?
 Now for the cute part...

What does this remind you of?  I know, a baby diaper!!  Fold each corner into the middle, then roll the rest of the way up.  I laid the egg rolls with the seam side down on the tray so they would stay put.  They really behaved well, nothing busted I am happy to report!

The directions on the package say to fry the egg rolls, but being health conscience and lazy; baking them is quicker and cleaner!  I made a Sesame Soy Sauce for dipping and I am now an official member of the U.F.O. (Unusual Food Organization).  Membership is free so give it a whirl, you're sure to impress all of your non-ethnic friends!


Egg Roll Recipe
1 pound ground meat
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 Tablespoons dry vermouth or dry sherry
2 teaspoons grated ginger
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
1 pinch sugar
1 Tablespoon finely chopped green onion
1 large egg white
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3 minced garlic cloves
1 can finely chopped water chestnuts
1 package of egg roll or wonton wrappers

Saute ground meat.  Mix with the rest of the ingredients (except wrappers) until well blended.
Make eggrolls (see above pictures).  Place on a greased cookie sheet.  With a pastry brush, baste top of wrapper with a little olive oil.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 20-25 min, till golden brown.

Sesame Soy Sauce

3 Tablespoons soy sauce
3 Tablespoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 dash of hot chili oil

Mix all ingredients together and serve with egg rolls.

Enjoy,
E.W.

No comments: